With Gerald Lund's tapes of "The Fire of the Covenant," to keep my mind busy, I hoped in my little white Taurus at 3 o'clock a.m. & headed to Denver to see the kids. My brother Michael & his wife sold their summer mansion in Sedalia and I wanted to go help them do some packing as well. (Moving is such a big job......I hate it...... but I couldn't comprehend what they were going to do with all their belongings from this hugh house. But children, siblings, and relatives helped them find homes for everything.)
I left Tim home to face his MASTER project of sorting boxes. He's more than a little grumping with this project at the same time he knows it needs to be done.......especially when he told me if he didn't have it completed by Oct. 31 at 4:00 p.m.........I could haul everything to D. I.! I jumped on that contract like a hungary cat seeing a fat mouse!) Anyway I left him to sprawl all over the house and do what he needed to to get organized.
Mary Ann called me about 7:30 when she got up and was surprised that I was almost to Vail. By this time I was starting to get a little tired and pulled over to buy me a Dr. Pepper to help keep me awake. The only problem is.......drinking 32 oz. creates another problem. Oh the inventions you have to create when nature calls. And I did! But the back door was open and a relief station was waiting when I arrived at 10. It felt like I had added an entire day to my trip. 
My happy and delightful Elle was glad to see me. Elle is so playful and is busy in preschool, play group and following in the shadow of her mother, she seems to find time to play with Grandma. She made me promise to sleep with her one night, and so Friday night we opened the door for Karen & Alan to have some "together time" while the kids and I had a party. Ryan, Dayton, & Mary Ann came over and we just played together. Sam & I traditionally make apple pies. With Grandpa sending us with some fresh apples off our tree, it made making pie a cinch. M-m-m-m! Sam is quite the cook and even Elle made two little ones for she and Dayton! Everyone was so proud!
Saturday, Sam was suppose to play soccer at 7:30 in the moring. Sam & Alan were up at 6:15 to get ready and leave for warm ups. Then Karen got all the kids up and we began to bundle with layer upon layers of clothers. It was really cold. Just before we left, the phone rang and it was Alan calling to tell us the game had been cancelled due to snow. I hated that I didn't get to watch Sam play, but it didn't hurt my feelings that we didn't have to freeze to death!
We just hung around the house and froze. I asked Alan if he never turned on his furnace. We were all freezing. Alan said he didn't like to turn it on for just one day......he didn't like the "Start up dust and smell." So I sat by the fire place while he and Karen snuggled on the couch. They were enjoying just having a day to relax at home and play with the kids. (Every Saturday is wall to wall soccer games for the 3 boys......Elle is the favorite cheerleader and her mother's favorite companion!) Dayton doesn't know any better, and Alan is just happy to have another Crockett family over in Highland's Ranch......especially Mary Ann to do his loan processing for him.
Alan is a wonderful Dad. He's diligent in creating his new business and is so supportive with the boys and their soccer teams. Watching him play with the kids outside, you could tell his skills have advanced right along with the boys. He's Connor's coach, but he's right there in dress & kind with Sam on the Olympic team.
Elle loves to dance, and pull funny faces. She melted my heart when she wrapped her arms around my leg and begged me to please come for her birthday in December. I would be there in a minute.....but I think Mom & Dad have other plans! Bigger and better ones silently wait for a December surprise. But on Friday after being down a Uncle Mike's helping pack in the morning, I got to join up with the family to go to the movies...........Elle and Connor sat on each side of me as we wander through a animated movie about an eternal food fight created by an amature inventor who longed to be famous. Holy Cow......kids have high technology movies and bazaar ideas to keep them entertained. I liked watching their faces and eating hot butter popcorn with the family.
Karen is a great mother. She loves her family and serves them tirelessly. She runs a tight ship and helps the kids get to all their activities........school, church, scouts, soccer games & practice, play group, pre-school and they always are clean, well dressed, and encouraged to do & be their best. There's no way to measure the value of a good mother.
Oh how I miss my little friend Dayton since he & his family has moved to Denver. He was just starting to walk when he moved and now he runs, kicks his soccer ball, and squeels, "Peeze" when anyone has treats or he needs something. He's so darn cute and melts my heart quickly.With the exception of hurting my sweet daugther in law, this was a perfect opportunity to just visit, play and be with the kids in their normal habitate.
Chase plays soccer too! Chase has a magic smile much like Uncle Davy's! His eyes glitter as he teases and he's loves to cheat while playing game. It's almost impossible to get made at the guy, because he melts you with his tender nature and laughing eyes. We stopped at Block Buster to pick up a Wii game for him! He loves the Wii and can play it for hours. Especially when Uncle Ryan comes over.......those two are as happy as a hen with a nest full of eyes while playing the Wii together.
As for Dayton.....with Elle & Connor around.....he hasn't had time to miss Grandma's attention. All kinds of store bought toys in the cupboard, Dayton's favorite pass time was being pulled around in an apple box lid by Connor. Connor is such a good, conscienceous and very attendive boy, that making Dayton happy & content was worth all his attention.
Chase plays soccer too! Chase has a magic smile much like Uncle Davy's! His eyes glitter as he teases and he's loves to cheat while playing game. It's almost impossible to get made at the guy, because he melts you with his tender nature and laughing eyes. We stopped at Block Buster to pick up a Wii game for him! He loves the Wii and can play it for hours. Especially when Uncle Ryan comes over.......those two are as happy as a hen with a nest full of eyes while playing the Wii together.
As for Dayton.....with Elle & Connor around.....he hasn't had time to miss Grandma's attention. All kinds of store bought toys in the cupboard, Dayton's favorite pass time was being pulled around in an apple box lid by Connor. Connor is such a good, conscienceous and very attendive boy, that making Dayton happy & content was worth all his attention.Andy & Betsy Price & their two girls decided to stay with Mary Ann for the weekend so I spent the first two nights at the Ahlstrom's new palace and Sam was very kind to give up his big bed so I could spend the next two nights with Karen & Alan. For 9 years, Karen & Alan's family have had us all to themselves when we've visited Colorado. It's kind of awkward & I found myself feeling "divided" & unsure while I was there this time. With company, church meetings, church assignments, and Sunday routines, I decided to leave early Sunday morning to get back to my own ward's fast & testimony meeting. This had been an "unexpected trip" & my plans were really undefined, so I was anxious to return home.
Once again, "The Fire of the Covenant" was my partner in travel. I do have to say, "Miracles come in many fashions." I noticed that my odometer was about to turn 77,777 and so I slowed down, pulled off to the side of the road to take a picture. Little did I know that that simple interruption may have saved my life. About 10 minutes later, traffic was stopped & backed up. I pulled a pair of binoculars that I had forgotten to give one of the boys, and scoped out what the delay was. About 1/2 mile up the road, a semi truck had hit a pick up head on. As I reflected on the scene, I realized that at 80 mph traveling a 1/2 mile would have passed rather quickly. I had pulled over to take my picture and could have very likely have been in the place of the pick up truck. I returned home safe & sound, showed and ready to go to church. Needless to say, I gave a lot of thanks as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment