Thursday, May 21, 2009

Losing my girl to Colorado

Mary Ann & Alan's make up & natures have always been so much alike, should it surprise me that they will be neighbors this fall in Highlands Ranch, Colorado?
My "Handyman" (Ryan) after graduating honors from BYU this spring is taking my second princess across the rockies to live with precious grandchildren in Colorado...........I am happy and very sad at the same time. I have loved it way too much........having them just across the street, dropping by often, and being available to help me through problems. I've decided I love my children and their families way too much!

I'm constantly asking myself, "What mother could be prouder of all her children......strong, independent, wise, spiritual, educated, employed, and willing to step into this world to create their spot on this planet? At the same time, what mother rejoices when her child steps away from her and says, "I can do it by myself!" In the heart of every mother, she rejoices......at the same time........she cries. She's given them every piece of herself, and when they leave, she knows they can stand strongly by themselves, yet she feels a deep sense of a "missing piece." So it is with me. My Mary Ann & her sweet family are accepting their new adventure with anticipation. And for me......I am so honored .......but apart of me is going far away with them. And silly me! I support them 110%. I think the only person who truly understands my heart is Julie Kaye, because Mary Ann is one of her dearest and closest friends too!
So I went to Colorado during the weekend of My 13-18th to help watch my handsome little Dayton while they search for their home in Highlands Ranch Colorado. Py (their realitor) was
so patient, hard working and supportive to help them find, just what they were looking for.

Meanwhile, my best friend Elle (3) and I took care of little Handsome. Elle, much like her mother, makes everyone feel welcome, and has lots of fun activities to do. Like building a fort for us to take a nap in, or singing special song like the Little Blue Man, Two Little Boys, or the special one: I Have Something in My Pocket. If we weren't singing, telling stories, or cuddling, she was out with her brothers playing in the front yard or help one of us with a project.
Karen waited patiently for this little princess to come into her life after having 3 boys. So when the boys are all busy playing sports or having to be taxied all over, Karen has a little friend to keep her happy and smiling. And Elle is quick to express how much she loves you and to acknowledge that "we are the best of friends, right Mom!" Karen allowed me to slip into this group during our stay.......and I was in heaven having Elle as "my special friend!"

Dayton is going to love Colorado. His cousins already dote over him and keep him happily entertained. If 6 year old Connor wasn't wrestling with him on the floor, then Chase was packing him around, teaching him how to play the Wii or finding something for him to eat. And Sam was showing him the power of a ball. Little Dayton, hardly knew his parents were gone.


Except when it came time to host his 6 year old birthday party! Then everyone was involved. First painting picture frames, playing golf, a fun run around the block, a treasure hunt, a pinyata, and of course the entire group taking on Coach Alan in a game of soccer. Now heat up the macaroni and cheese, fresh hot dogs off the barbeque and then off to school! A perfect birthday party for a perfect boy. (Mary Ann & Ryan were the runners for balloons, and picking up the prints of the group to put in their personally designed frames.)

My only handy cap on this adventure, was for some reason congestion got the best of me and I was sicker than a dog. I drained an entire box of Musinex and when I crashed with fatique, Elle was more than willing to tell me how loud I snored when I slept. (That's the beauty of children... the truth comes easily! But in my spair time, we managed to kick Karen & Alan out for an over nighter to celebrate Karen's 39th birthday. Karen (much like Tim) hates surprises, and was on Alan all day trying to find out what they were doing. And Alan seems to love yanking Karen's chain, and smiled & told her to let it go.......he had the evening totally under control. Quietly he had packed an over night bag for her......including her running clothes.......which later proved to be to his demise! The next day.......they returned panting......because Karen made him run an extra mile home! (Guess, turn around is fair play!)
On Saturday, Dayton & I went with Mary Ann & Ryan to review some of their "Home Possibilities." Two homes were at the top of the list. One, really close to Alan! (My heart selfishly screamed for this one because of the easy during visits) The other one was only 5 minutes away, but had all the things the kids desired. Comfort, space, and a big backyard for little Dayton to play in. This is the one I feel they will get. It backs right up to a wonderful recreation center where Dayton & his mom will spend alot of time while Dad's at work with Ernest & Young Accounting.

Later on that afternoon, Karen & Alan, treated me to a movie! I still wasn't feeling very good, but it was wonderful to get away from the house for awhile. Sunday, church started at 8:30, so Karen had everything in order for us to "get out the door!" (That's not always easy with extra guests, but it seem Karen's fortiet' is Organized Hosting! Food is simple, exits are fast, and kids know their place. (Karen's an excellent mother and her family is dependent on her inner strength to keep them eternally focused!)
I crashed right after church right next to Elle in our FORT bed. When we woke up, Alan had fixed his famous bacon wrapped shrimp! M-m-m-m-m and the puzzle that Aunt Mary Ann bought Connor for his birthday began. Pam Pisciotta and her two kids Adam & Marie came to assist! Now once Pam was here and had Karen organized........well, they never stopped until this 550 piece maze was completed! (Not an easy task......and all the rest of us had bailed!) Pam is one of those ladies who has become a good friend over time. Pam has had to face adversity head on, and chooses to live life happy & to the fullest. She is a dedicated mother and always has a warm embracing love for me when I visit Colorado.
Pam & Karen never stopped until all pieces were in place!
Tradition has it, that when "Grandma comes, Sam & I bake apple pies together." His Grandma Hunter is really the best cook, but Sam doesn't care about my cooking abilities......he just likes having a special activity with Grandma. And this day, we made two of the best apple pies we've ever made!
Like I said, "Elle makes everyone feel loved & speciall!"
President David O. McKay said, "True spirituality is victory over self!" Sunday May 17th was one such day for Elle Crockett. She went out front to join the activity in the front yard when she asked her dad, "Dad, can I ride my bike?" "Sure!" Alan replied. Then Elle asked, "Can I try riding the one without training wheels." Now you have to know the joy Alan feels when his children take upon themselves a new growing challenge. And this one became the highlight of the day. His little princess is one of courage and adventure and he is always willing to support them in a righteous desire. With helmet on, he held the little yellow bike until his princess felt secure. And with 10 steps, she was in flight all by herself!


"Elle, how does it feel to ride a two wheeler without traing wheels?"
I wish I had the recording of her calling Grandpa Crockett in Utah to tell him her exciting news.
Words can't express it & it's just one of those "you had to be there" moments of
"Victory over Self"
I have a few more weeks before my princess & her family leave Utah Valley for their Colorado adventure. I'll savor each moment with them while their close and condition myself to look forward to having more than one reason to fly or drive over the mighty rockies. I have no doubt that Ryan & Mary Ann will be happy. It's their nature to love life & make the best of it. And in time they will fill all 4 bedrooms in their new little home, and I will have reasons to visit and be apart of some of the new memories made within their new home. And like always, I will trust the powers of heaven to watch over and care for my children.

And I know that Elle will be Mary Ann's Best Friend!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs. So sad that Mary Ann and Ryan are moving... my heart goes out to you, but such is the way of life. And as you well know, in one way or another, everything will continue to work out just fine. You are the BEST Syd. SOOOO glad to be your friend!!!