Sunday, March 15, 2009

Grandma's Spring Dream Come True

I guess this is when the "Tomboy" in me really comes out. Having been raised on a large farm with plenty of boys and no girls to play with, creation was a big part of my life. Tree cabins, hay bail cabins, underground cabins, swings in barns or from tree to tree then dropping into a large water pond.....I was always outside creating something. Well does it surprise anyone that when I decided to have Brian Young help me build a shed I thought to myself, "I'll have four walls and a roof, why not make it two stories and have a cabin for the grand kids!" We'll call it,"A Shabin" since its a Shed & a Cabin combined. And that's exactly what we did. I do have to admit I did get a little carried away because Brian brought in power.....so we did windows, doors, wall boarded, paint, with a border & theme inside. It has a TV & VCR as well as a trundle bed for sleep overs. It even has a deck to jump off of onto the trampoline! Let's face it, it's by far my most ultimate cabin. Kind of my "Finale Cabin".....I think! Just prior to Brian laying up the wall board inside, I wrestled with the idea of putting in a zipline post. Several nights I went back & forth, back & forth with the idea. However, once I mentioned it to Brian, he was all over the idea. Now it's March 14th, and my spring creation juices are running on high. Grandpa called from Provo to ask if there was anything I needed him to pick up while he was down there. He knows me well, and didn't hesitate to stop by Standard Masonry to pick me up a load of sand to fill up the enlarged sand box we have in the back yard. Now it's time to create the ZIPLINE! Oh, yah!Travis and Ryan, my two wonderful & willing son-in-laws gave me some of their most precious time to "Make my Zipline dream HAPPEN!" They are both creators and so flexible to go up and down ladders.....fly through the air on the trampoline.....up and down....up and down until the joy of all creation was complete. Ryan gave it the pilot run to see if the cherry tree branch would hold. Soon the neighbors were over, the baby seat put on, and life and laughter was the filling the air. My total joy was watching the children delight in having fun in our back yard. Even Grandpa jumped in and trimmed back the apple tree so that every Zip-run was safe for all. I don't know why these kinds of things give me so much satisfaction and joy......but they do & I love it.I'll probably never ride the thing, but seeing Candice running along beside her giggling 1 year old Cooper, or little Cory from next door break out giggling when you have to work hard to get this kid to smile ........well......it's just heaven to me. Mary Ann knows Ryan well enough that it was no surprise to see 6 month old Dayton tucked into the Zipline seat with his blanket ready to take a maiden voyage. Oh what laughter and fun we had Saturday afternoon! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much Travis & Ryan for making this ole Grandma so happy. I was as excited as a child waiting for Christmas morning. And this was the best one ever! It's easy to snap off the little baby seat and snap on the Cyclone seat that Ryan is holding for the older kids. They just get on the balcony of the Shabin and jump on the seat to fly across the backyard. To create the fullness of joy we just throw in a little tea party with hot chocolate & PB & J's, a big high flying push in the tire swing and bat a few rounds on the hanging base ball and it's a great party at Grandma & Grandpa Crockett's house. You know, we as Grandparents never like to hear our grandchildren cry......but there's a certain satisfaction that comes when they cry because they don't want to go home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so much fun! I'm happy for you Syd..... MWAH!