Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Girls in My Life

Time flies on wings of lightning.....and I know that times like today will become rarer and more precious as time goes on. It was Saturday, September 27th, Shauna Lynn arranged for the Crockett girls to venture up to the Conference Center for Women's Conference. Of course, Hauni went to Richfield, Becca wanted to be with her mother & sister, and Candice was in "over-whelm" with too little time, so my 3 daughters and I went together. Ryan was so supportive to take little Dayton so Mary Ann could be with us. (Thank You Ryan..... these times are hard to come by.) Traffic was busy as we watched car after car full of women heading to the same place we were going. So busy that Mary Ann was tense driving. As we approached the conference center, parking became a maze of "HOW & WHERE!" We dropped Shauna & Julie Kaye off to get a seat for us, while Mary Ann & I went to park the car. Little did we know that as Mary Ann & I walked into the Conference Center it was like looking for a pin in a hay stack...for the conference center seating was a large sea of sisters & Julie Kaye & Shauna weren't standing. Julie Kaye was watching so carefully....she was sure she would see us. But Mary Ann & I walked up and down the isles searching, to no avail, Mary Ann & I took seats by strangers. Mary Ann was discouraged.....and so was Julie Kaye....but finally everyone relaxed and centered their thoughts & spirits into listening to the talks. What wonderful words of wisdom & counsel. Julie Beck and President Utchdorf were my personal favorites. I couldn't help but think of these 3 beautiful daughters I had with me and how they were truly fulfilling the desires of any righteous mother's heart. After the conference, a simple phone call and we were easily united together again. This is when I'm so grateful for the attitudes of these wonderful daughters. Mary Ann & Julie Kaye exchanged & comforted each other with their common emotional frustrations while Shauna Lynn & I walked arm in arm exchanging pleasantries. We decided to drive down to 10600 South to find somewhere to grab a bite to eat. TGI Fridays was open and free for us to come right in and set down. After the waitress took our order, I took the opportunity to share a "mother's moment" with my beautiful daughters. Their personal respect was so appreciated, as I honored them for being creators and women of forward faith. Their lives were so much in alignment with the teaching of Jesus Christ and the way they choose to decorated their homes and personal hearts brings me so much joy. They are really 3 of the finest examples of charity & womenhood that I know. (And I even made it through the entire expression without crying.....tears in my eyes of course.....but the spirit helped me to honor my girls.) The rest of the evening was filled with laugher, shareing & exchanging past memories and sampling each other's food. My daughters thanked me for sacrificing to have Grandma Price live with us so they could have their "own little nest" of wonderful & fun experiences with her.
"On the spot Julie Kaye", found the number for Mime's and called for a "after-dinner dessert pick up"....fulfilling my need for something sweet. Yummy! It was a HUGH deep chocolate browning alamoed with vanilla ice cream smothered with hot fudge and Carmel toppings. One dessert from Mime's filled us all. It was such a delightful spiritual feast together. As we rode home, we all agreed we would have never had such a delightful memory had we stayed in happy valley. One day, one friend asked another,
'How is it that you are always so happy?
You have so much energy,
and you never seem to get down.'

With her eyes smiling, she said,
'I know the Secret!'
'What secret is that?'
To which she replied,
'I'll tell you all about it,
but you have to promise to
share the Secret with others.'

'The Secret is this:
I have learned there is little I can do
in my life that will make me truly happy.
I must depend on God to make
me happy and to meet my needs.
When a need arises in my life,
I have to trust God to supply
according to HIS riches.
I have learned most of the time
I don't need half of what I think I do.
He has never let me down.
Since I learned that 'Secret', I am happy.'

The questioner's first thought was,
'That's too simple!'
But upon reflecting over her own life
she recalled how she thought a bigger house
would make her happy, but it didn't!
She thought a better paying job
would make her happy, but it hadn't.
When did she realize her greatest happiness?
Sitting on the floor with her grandchildren,
playing games, eating pizza or reading a story,
a simple gift from God.

Now you know it too!
We can't depend on people to make us happy.
Only GOD in His infinite wisdom can do that.
Trust HIM!

No comments: