Sunday, January 4, 2009

FOREVER STRONG

In late September, I had the opportunity to go to the Premier Showing of "Forever Strong" with Julie Kaye and Mary Ann in Salt Lake. Of course we made an afternoon of it and went to dinner first....(which we ended up eating in the theatre due to time restraints!) Nevertheless, the message of this movie, became the Crockett 2008 Christmas Theme. "Name 3-5 thing that you feel you will have to do to remain Forever Strong." This expression time is by far my favorite gift at Christmas. I love hearing the insights and feelings of our children and this year was especially special. Listening to each one of them express their commitments to themselves, their wives & families, and their faith. Feelings just seem to invite the spirit and then each gift has more meaning. The older I become, the more precious simple things become to me. This was the very first Christmas in my entire life that I spent it without my mother here on earth. Having had a diligent & faithful mother, along with watching my children create families, I have had some very sensitive feelings about the power of a mother. My mother laid down a great portion of her life for her 4 children. Especially when my 2 brothers fell victim to polio. My older sister by 10 years became responsible for so many of the demands of the 13 acre farm Mother & Dad had just purchased and being the baby of the family, I became Mother's comforter. (Interesting enough, throughout my life, my roll never changed.)As I grew older, I lacked wisdom and like most youth, I was selfish, and expected much more from my mother than what she could give. Then I became a mother and the reality of her sacrifices became more clearly defined. I see now that she gave me her very best and only took for herself what she needed to stay balances and happy herself. Now she has moved on to a far better life, and I am standing in her shoes listening to my own children. My Dad left 17 years ago.....probably to go build a palace for his sweetheart! His eyes were always focused on making my mother happy. Leaving her behind, was the hardest thing he had to do and I knew as I watched the last tear run down his cheek, that it was the most pain filled moment in his life to have to move forward without her by his side. But Dad was the rock of our families security. He was the epitome of love, tenderness and could stop time with his hugs. He worked every moment of his life to bring happiness and joy to his wife and children. And the power of his influences has reached into the lives of so many of his posterity. In death, his example and love stands forever strong. His name echoes itself in grandchildren & great-grandchildren names. Simple coins to silver dollars remind them of "doing good and making right decisions." This Christmas, he and mother are together forever.....quietly checking in and attending to our earthly prayers. Oh, the power of parents. Standing strong in faith.....even when children shoot arrows of correction and change. Allowing perfect agency......mistakes.....and a quiet tongue is all part of the great eternal plan. Continual prayers of faith-filled parents seeking a higher power than their own to open paths for their own children's learning. Constantly petitioning for watchful & care-filled protection over them. As time marches forward, I've come to realize that somethings just don't matter......but simple gentle loving things always will. It's taken me a life time to realize that. And being a parent taught me to appreciate the simple consistent sacrifices my parents & grandparents made for me and mine. Here's a picture when I was in my first year of college with my Grandmother Kate, my favorite niece Cheri, and my own mother. 4 generations of life.....moving forward.....attempting to make little special moments into sacred memories. That's what keeps you "Forever Strong." Life is all about "Memories & Remembering them." Looking back now I see that my mother worked so hard trying to correct us and my father just chose to encourage our choices by loving us. Together they made a perfect team because both parts are necessary, but love and acceptance holds the most power. Making right decisions is always the key to success. Having the righteous decisions confirmed in tenderness is the art of good parenting. In the movie, "FOREVER STRONG" the key to their success is to not do anything to dishonor or embarrass yourself, your family, or your ancestors who have gone before you. Playing your position with personal commitment and power is totally individual. Connecting with a team is being committed to 'your position.' That very idea took me a life time to learn. Looking at my own family, with my husband, and within my faith......I can see that philosophy echoing in every direction. And yet it has taken me almost 60 years to learn the precious nature of that very idea. It took me almost 45 years to believe that my Heavenly Father truly loved me as a person and has always embraced me with His divine love. That new reality was a year when claiming my divine nature and individual worth set me free to fly with the angels. I had been living in a belief that "If you really knew me, you wouldn't love me" and denying the processes of my life could be anything but divinely orchestrated. With one belief change....all of sudden I was set free....knowing I was of worth & that my life had purpose which was almost more than I could comprehend. The Savior of this world had truly atoned for my weaknesses and poor decisions and I was free to become divine. Even though I had dedicated my life to being a good wife and mother.....suddenly my life was set free to become even more valuable. My life time of learning could now be a resource of knowledge to assist and help others. My sweet daughter Mary Ann gave me a precious book for Christmas this year all about "Grandma Crockett." I am so blessed to have a family of STRONG people who are willing to let go of my weaknesses and hold on to my strengths. As we sat in our Christmas circle and listened to each other's commitments to be "Forever Strong," I am so grateful for all my ancestors who have gone before me & even more grateful for those who follow after me. They will be FOREVER STRONG because they know the power of loving and supporting each other.

No comments: